For patients in Columbia, SC in need of laser vision correction, like Lasik, Advanced Surface Treatment (AST) can be an excellent option. Some patients who weren’t good candidates for Lasik can achieve great results with AST. Because the cornea is reshaped by removing a tiny layer of tissue, there is no need for a flap. The light rays can focus on the retina perfectly, which dramatically improves vision.
- The Procedure is Quick: AST is a quick procedure, lasting as little as 30 minutes. The surgeon numbs the eye and then prepares the eye for the laser treatment by gently using a micro polisher. A microscopic layer of tissue is removed to reshape the cornea. Each surgery is custom-designed to meet the vision needs of each patient. Patients do not generally experience any pain or discomfort during this procedure.
- Recovery: After surgery, the cornea is protected by a contact lens temporarily. Some patients experience three to five days of blurry vision and a little discomfort during the healing process. Discomfort or pain is greatly reduced through medication, the protective lens, and eye drops. Depending on their healing tendencies, patients typically experience their final vision results over a few days to a few months.
- Ideal Candidates: For Advanced Surface Treatment, ideal candidates are 21 years of age or older with a stable prescription. That is, no significant prescription changes within the past year. Here are the conditions commonly treated with AST:
- Nearsightedness (Myopia) with or without astigmatism
- Over or under corrected vision from cataract surgery or other refractive surgeries
- Farsightedness (Hyperopia) with or without astigmatism
Advanced Surface Treatment procedures may not be the best option for every patient. As with all procedures, discussing your concerns and treatment goals with your eye doctor is critical in planning any next steps in vision care.