Despite all human eyes having the same basic anatomical structure, each person’s eye is different in terms of size, depth and curvature of the cornea and other important features. Due to these unique individual differences in your eye and any previous treatments that may have been performed like LASIK or RK, cataract surgery must be carefully tailored to each individual patient’s eyes by carefully measuring and mapping the eye prior to cataract surgery in order to achieve the goal of less dependence on glasses.
While these measurements have been routinely performed prior to surgery, the LenSx® laser adds benefit by using a range of highly advanced technologies. The LenSx® Laser uses focused femtosecond laser pulses to create incisions in the lens capsule, crystalline lens, and the cornea. The result is a procedure that is tailored to your specifications and delivers a remarkable degree of accuracy.
What advantages does the LenSx provide?
- A bladeless incision: While our surgeons are able to provide excellent reliability with their manual incisions, no human is able to match the consistent reliability of a laser.
- Astigmatism reduction: The LenSx is able to treat mild levels of astigmatism providing sharper vision without glasses after the procedure.
- Capsulotomy Creation: By centralizing the opening through which the cataract is removed, LenSx provides a more reliable post operative visual result. Basically, it reduces the incidence of post operative surprises.
- Lens Fragmentation: The LenSx pulverizes the central portion of the cataract, allowing for a much gentler removal. This often translates to decreased healing times and a quicker achievement of stable vision.
- There are also certain ocular conditions where the LenSx can increase the safety of the surgery. Examples are Pseudoexfoliation Syndrome and Fuch’s Corneal Dystrophy.
Is this an all Laser Cataract surgery? No, when performing a cataract surgery with the LenSx® laser, the surgeon still uses the traditional ultrasound (Phaco) to remove the cataract. The benefit is seen in that the laser makes the incisions, and breaks the cataract into smaller pieces, making it easier for your surgeon to remove.
Is this procedure for everybody? No traditional cataract surgery with a small blade is one of if not the most reliable procedures in medicine. Patients routinely get excellent results and are very happy with this approach. However, if you are someone who embraces innovative technologies, wants the latest, greatest methods, or has significant astigmatism, this may be an excellent option.
Is the LenSx® laser covered by insurance? Cataract surgery is typically paid for by Medicare and many insurance companies. Individuals must check with their respective carriers for specific eligibility and coverage benefits. LenSx® is a premium enhanced procedure that requires an out-of-pocket fee from the patient. Patients will receive specific information on the cost of their procedure during the consultation process.
Contact us for more information about our life-changing services. To schedule an appointment, you may call 803-256-0641.